"Lentell"

Post in this forum if you are looking for (or can help with) information on surnames related to Luppitt people. Please put the relevant surname(s) in the subject line in CAPITAL letters.

BECAUSE SOME POSTS ARE COPIED FROM THE GUESTMAP SERVICE, DO NOT USE THE 'EMAIL' BUTTON WHEN THE POST NAME IS FORUMADMIN, IN THAT CASE USE YOUR OWN EMAIL PROGRAM TO EMAIL THE EMAIL ADDRESS GIVEN IN THE POSTING.
Annie

"Lentell"

Post by Annie »

My 3rd Great-Grandmother Elizabeth "Lentell" was born c. 1801 in Devon. In 1822 she married William Tucker in Bath and remained there until her death in 1884. The above spelling of her surname is as appears on the Bath records. On 1851 and 1861 censuses she states she was born in Exeter. In 1881 her son records her birth in Ottery St Mary. The only records for "Lentells" that I have found are in Luppitt. Can anyone throw some light on her birth/baptism, please? I don't live in England nowadays, so I'm not in a position to visit Devon myself.

Annie
Grahame Smith

Re: "Lentell"

Post by Grahame Smith »

Hi Annie,

The Luppitt parish records show a Betty Lentall baptised 22nd March 1803 daughter of William & Sarah, this might be your ancestor possibly. There is no record of what happened to her after this baptism. The marriage record for Elizabeth Lentle & William Tucker in Walcot in 1822 does not appear to have her parents names included, so without that it is all possibilities and no proof. The William & Sarah that I refer to as Elizabeth's parents were possibly married at Dunkeswell Abbey (a neighbouring parish to Luppitt) on 27 Feb 1803 her maiden name was Gotherd. The Ottery St Mary reference as a place of birth for Elizabeth might be of some significance because why would some one make it up unless there was some truth to it. Not much help to you but keep looking.

Grahame Smith

Luppitt Local History Group