LENTLE FAMILY

Post in this forum if you are looking for (or can help with) information on surnames related to Luppitt people. Please put the relevant surname(s) in the subject line in CAPITAL letters.

BECAUSE SOME POSTS ARE COPIED FROM THE GUESTMAP SERVICE, DO NOT USE THE 'EMAIL' BUTTON WHEN THE POST NAME IS FORUMADMIN, IN THAT CASE USE YOUR OWN EMAIL PROGRAM TO EMAIL THE EMAIL ADDRESS GIVEN IN THE POSTING.
Helenlentlewilliams

LENTLE FAMILY

Post by Helenlentlewilliams »

My grandfather was Arthur "Fred" Lentle (born 1891) and he and his family lived at Penn Cottage, Luppitt. I am looking for any information or relevant photos. His parents were William and Emma Lentle and William was the sexton at the church in Luppitt for 30 years. They had 15 children - including John Lentle who is remembered on the Luppitt war memorial - killed in action in France in 1918. Fred moved to Wales for work as did some of his brothers and after 1940 I can't find any reference to Lentles in Luppitt. I visited a few weeks ago so I guess my father who was with me and I were the most recent Lentles to be there - even if only for a few days! Any Lentle info gratefully received.
Colin

Re: LENTLE FAMILY

Post by Colin »

I have been corresponding with Helen and we have established an interesting connection between our families from Luppitt. I include a summary here for the interest of others and perhaps even it might jolt some memories of older residents.

Arthur LENTLE’s youngest brother, Harold, was born in Luppitt in 1895. In 1911 he was working as a Baker in Exeter. He then followed his older brothers to South Wales from where he enlisted in the army and served in WWI. In Cardiff in 1919 he married Doris HERBERT a Domestic Servant who was born in 1893. Harold died in Cardiff in 1933.

My grandfather, Samuel Disney COLES was born in Luppitt in 1876 and was registered at the school at the same time as some of the LENTLE boys. In 1900 he married Susan SALWAY from Luppitt and they farmed at Buckerell, Dunkeswell, Wick and Yarcombe before retiring to Kilmington. Susan COLES died in 1943 and by 1947 Samuel COLES had employed Mrs Doris LENTLE as his housekeeper and who was known to me as ‘Aunty’ LENTLE. Samuel died in 1962 and Doris LENTLE died in 1972. Helen and I are wondering how a Mrs Doris LENTLE from Cardiff came to be employed as a housekeeper for Samuel COLES in Kilmington.

Cheers
Colin