Braddick Family

Post in this forum if you are looking for (or can help with) information on surnames related to Luppitt people. Please put the relevant surname(s) in the subject line in CAPITAL letters.

BECAUSE SOME POSTS ARE COPIED FROM THE GUESTMAP SERVICE, DO NOT USE THE 'EMAIL' BUTTON WHEN THE POST NAME IS FORUMADMIN, IN THAT CASE USE YOUR OWN EMAIL PROGRAM TO EMAIL THE EMAIL ADDRESS GIVEN IN THE POSTING.
MikeBraddick

Braddick Family

Post by MikeBraddick »

In researching my family history I have discovered that my second great grandmother was born in Luppitt about 1819. She married a Joseph Braddick who was born in Honiton in about 1816. I have a copy of their marriage cert and both had fathers who were named John but I am unable to get any further certified information about them and wondered if someone might be able to help. It is my intention to visit Devon this summer so any pointers would be welcome.
I am also intrigued as to how there came to be a feature near Luppitt called Braddicksknap Hill. Does anyone have any knowledge as to how it got it's name?
Mike Braddick
FEB

Re: Braddick Family

Post by FEB »

Hi Mike
I'm descended from Joseph Braddick of Luppitt who married Ruth Waters, sojourner, in 1755 in Luppitt.
I have been searching the family for about 20 years and have a Joseph born 1816 in my tree. His parents were John Braddick and Lucy Wench. Is this the family you are searching? If so I can give you details as he is descended from my Joseph and Ruth.
I'll be in Devon in July this year, staying out at Awliscombe.
Regards
Frances Braddick
FEB

Post by FEB »

Hi Mike
Further to your query about the Braddick family.
You asked if anyone could inform you re the naming of Braddicksnaps Hill in Luppitt.
A quote from "The Place-Names of Devon" Part II by J.E.B.Gover (A copy is in the Devon Heritage Centre)
" Braddicksnap Hill, Gould's Dairy . . . are probably to be associated with the families of John Braddicke (1687 Wills), Robert Gould (1563 Rental) . . . "

Frances Braddick
MikeBraddick

Post by MikeBraddick »

Hi Frances,
I sent you an Email last Sunday. Did you receive it?
Regards
Mike