Horsey family

Post in this forum if you are looking for (or can help with) information on surnames related to Luppitt people. Please put the relevant surname(s) in the subject line in CAPITAL letters.

BECAUSE SOME POSTS ARE COPIED FROM THE GUESTMAP SERVICE, DO NOT USE THE 'EMAIL' BUTTON WHEN THE POST NAME IS FORUMADMIN, IN THAT CASE USE YOUR OWN EMAIL PROGRAM TO EMAIL THE EMAIL ADDRESS GIVEN IN THE POSTING.
leeperna

Horsey family

Post by leeperna »

I am looking for the parents of a gentleman named Stephen Horsey who immigrated to American around the end of 1642. I suspect he is decended from Jasper Horsey (d. 1545) and Joan Horsey (d. 1558 in Tiverton). Joan is mentioned on this website in the document about the 1653 Indenture between Alexander Popham and Isatt Catford. She may have had up to ten male children, to include a William Horsey (born after 1532), who according to the Indenture, may have lived in Luppitt. In searching indexes of English wills of this period, I came across the will of Richard Horsey (or Horssey) from 1642, listing his residence as "Loopitt" which I presume is an archaic spelling of Luppitt. Richard could theoretically be William's grandson, or possibly his son, based on the years of birth/death. Because the year of this will matches the year of Stephen Horsey's immigration, I believe one possibility is that Stephen could be Richard's son. Stephen Horsey was born sometime around 1620 (in 1670 he was described as about 50 years of age).

I have not been able to find any more detailed records online. I was hoping someone might have access to records of this era or be willing to share what they know with someone in America. I would greatly appreciate any information you could provide about the Horsey family in/around Luppitt between 1550 and 1650.
Colin Evans

Re: Horsey family

Post by Colin Evans »

Hello, Leeperna,

I have microfiche of the Luppitt Parish Records, but these start from 1711. There is no mention of Horsey in these records. I note you are really looking earlier than that and wonder if you have tried the Devon Record Office to see if they hold anything from an earlier date. Good hunting.

Colin