kibby family

Post in this forum if you are looking for (or can help with) information on surnames related to Luppitt people. Please put the relevant surname(s) in the subject line in CAPITAL letters.

BECAUSE SOME POSTS ARE COPIED FROM THE GUESTMAP SERVICE, DO NOT USE THE 'EMAIL' BUTTON WHEN THE POST NAME IS FORUMADMIN, IN THAT CASE USE YOUR OWN EMAIL PROGRAM TO EMAIL THE EMAIL ADDRESS GIVEN IN THE POSTING.
val

kibby family

Post by val »

Has anyone come across the surname Kibby in their research? I am trying to find a Joel Kibby who may have come from this area. In the 1830s he was sentenced to death at Exeter for horse stealing but I don't know if the sentence was carried out.
Thanks in advance, Val :D
Colin Evans

Joel KIBBY

Post by Colin Evans »

Val, I have no specific information concerning an execution of Joel KIBBY, but on the general topic of execution for horse stealing, I can tell you that Home Secretary, Sir John Russell, abolished execution for horse stealing in 1830, although, in practice, the sentence to death was still recorded for a number of years following that date. That sentence was usually commuted to a term of imprisonment or transportation. I see from the Devon web-site that Joel was convicted and sentenced at the Lent Assize at Exeter in 1832. Later the same year there is a record which refers to 1 year imprisonment, but I cannot be certain that this record means his sentence was commuted to 1 year. If I learn more, I will post another reply.
Colin
val

kibby and horse stealing

Post by val »

Thanks so much Colin, that info is very useful to me. Could you give me a source reference for the later sentence of one year?
Val
Colin Evans

Joel Kibby

Post by Colin Evans »

Hello, Val. Glad you found that interesting.

Go to http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/DEV/index.html
Click on "Court Records."
Click on "Calendars of Prisoners".
Scroll down until you find "QS32/111 - Easter 1832".
Click; scroll down and you will find entry "Joel Kibby. Convicted Lent Assizes - Horse Stealing - Death Recorded"
Return to previous page and click on "QS32/112 - Midsummer 1832" and scroll way down the page and you will find entry "Kibby, Joel. Convicted of Horse Stealing - Imprisoned 1 Year [Death]".

I regret I do not know if the second entry means that his sentence was commuted to 1 year's imprisonment, or that he had, by then, been in prison for 1 year.

Happy Hunting - Colin
Colin Evans

Joel Kibby

Post by Colin Evans »

Val,
Having re-visited the site and examined other prisoners' entries, I am pursuaded that the sentence of death passed on Joel was commuted to 1 year's imprisonment.
You will, no doubt, observe that his entry is in keeping with others, which are clearly a record of their sentence.
Similar entries are found on both QS records for a Francis FORD, who was convicted of sheep stealing; sentenced to death and then 1 year imprisonment.
Colin
val

Post by val »

Thanks again Colin, I'm certain you are right about the one yr sentence. I had seen the Lent assizes on the website and checked in the local newspaper but could not find any further detail. The original book holding trial detail has not survived so I won't be able to find out much more. Best wishes Val