CLAPP Family

Post in this forum if you are looking for (or can help with) information on surnames related to Luppitt people. Please put the relevant surname(s) in the subject line in CAPITAL letters.

BECAUSE SOME POSTS ARE COPIED FROM THE GUESTMAP SERVICE, DO NOT USE THE 'EMAIL' BUTTON WHEN THE POST NAME IS FORUMADMIN, IN THAT CASE USE YOUR OWN EMAIL PROGRAM TO EMAIL THE EMAIL ADDRESS GIVEN IN THE POSTING.
Keith

CLAPP Family

Post by Keith »

I am researcing my family tree and have managed to gp back as far as William Clapp (Married to Jane) Born 1782 in Hemyoch but spent most of ther life in Luppitt. I would like to here from anyone who has any iformation on my family in either Luppitt, Hemyock or Tiverton

Thanks

Keith
linda109

Post by linda109 »

Hi

I have an Eliza Clapp married to one of my ancestors. She was born Sept 1839 in Ashbrittle, Somerset. She married James Tozer on 3 Feb 1870 in St Mary's Church, Luppitt, Devon . Her father was Robert Clapp of Dunkerswell. If you think this is the same Clapp family I do have more info about her.
sage tim

Post by sage tim »

Hi,

Bert and Olive Clapp(nee Sage) still live in Luppitt. Their son, Bernard is also there. I have some Sage info from Olive, but don't know if there is any Clapp details. Bert is losing his memory, and won't be much help.

Regards,

Tim Sage
linda109

Post by linda109 »

Hi

How nice to here from you. Yes It is the same family. Eliza Clapp married to James Tozer who is my Great Grand father. I am actually researching the Tozer family from Luppitt but would be very interested to know what you have about Eliza. I have a little information, but not a lot.

Look forward to hearing from you
Regards Linda
linda109

Post by linda109 »

linda109 wrote:Hi

I have an Eliza Clapp married to one of my ancestors. She was born Sept 1839 in Ashbrittle, Somerset. She married James Tozer on 3 Feb 1870 in St Mary's Church, Luppitt, Devon . Her father was Robert Clapp of Dunkerswell. If you think this is the same Clapp family I do have more info about her.
I am intereted to know what you have on the Clapp family. I have Robert Clapp 1806 Dunkerswell married to a Jane 1809 died 1840 Luppitt,. Children Mary, Ann, Elizabeth & Liza, but have not gone back further than that. If you have any more info, I would love to hear. Many Thanks Linda
Colin Evans

CLAPP Family

Post by Colin Evans »

Are any of you interested in the following Luppitt Baptisms for CLAPP?

CLAP Jack M Samuel Mary 1753. 09. 23
CLAP John M John Susannah 1771. 12. 22 Born 25. 02. 1771
CLAP Robert Rodger M John Susanna 1779. 03. 14
CLAPP Samuel M Edward [?] Mary 1756. 06. ?? Date in June illegible. From Coomhardleigh
CLAPP Hannah F John Susannah 1774. 04. 07
CLAPP James M John Susanna 1776. 07. 28
CLAPP Grace F John Anne 1781. 11. 04
CLAPP Mary F John Anne 1784. 05. 03
CLAPP John M John Anne 1787. 05. 06
CLAPP William Bradley M John Anne 1790. 08. 22
CLAPP Ann F John Ann 1795. 05. 24 Born 08.03.1795
CLAPP Robert M William Jane 1823. 10. 09 Labourer. Luppitt.
CLAPP Christopher M John Thomasin 1828. 02. 01 Carpenter. Luppitt.
CLAPP Sarah F William Jane 1828. 08. 10 Dairyman. Luppitt.
CLAPP Ann F John Thomasin 1828. 10. 31 Carpenter. Luppitt.
CLAPP Ann Oldridge F [not given] Hannah CLAPP 1829. 07. 26 Base Born. Mother Servant. Honiton. Father Oldridge ?
CLAPP Elizabeth F John Thomasin 1830. 05. 30 Carpenter. Luppitt.
CLAPP Mary Ann F [not given] Sarah CLAPP 1831. 07. 10 Base Born. Luppitt.
CLAPP Susannah F Joseph Mary 1831. 09. 18 Labourer. Luppitt.
CLAPP Charles Alfred M John Thomasin 1832. 07. 29 Carpenter. Luppitt.
CLAPP Robert M John Thomasin 1834. 06. 01 Carpenter. Luppitt.
CLAPP Anna F John Thomasin 1835. 11. 01 Carpenter. Luppitt.

The M and/or F denotes male or female. The baptism date format is year,month,day.

Colin
debbie.lawley

Re: CLAPP Family

Post by debbie.lawley »

Hello - delighted to see how much interest and how much work has been done on the Luppitt families. I am entangled in all this with my Great Grandmother being Emma Clapp b.1863. She married Thomas Lawley b 1861 from Old Swinford. Her father was William Clapp who marreid Jane Warren Davey in 1845.

I would be over the moon if anyone has a photo(s) of William or Jane? I have a lovely photo of Emma and Thomas if anyone is interested.

Best wishes
Debbie Lawley
Evelyn Whitby

Post by Evelyn Whitby »

Hello my Clapp ancestors are as follows

My Great Grandmother Mary Ann Clapp b1830 Luppitt, Devon daughter of Sarah Clapp, father unknown.

Mary Ann Clapp married Alfred Knight 11th April, 1855 Upottery Parish Church, Devon.

They lived in Holy, (Howley), Whitestaunton, Somerset.

In the 1851 Census for Holy, Whitestaunton, Mary and Alfred Knight have a 1 year old daughter Mary Jane Clapp! However, in the 1861 Census they have an 11 year old daughter Jane Knight, who I believe is Mary Jane Clapp! She is listed as Alfred's daughter on the census.

Alfred and Mary Knight's youngest daughter Ezit Knight born 1875, Whitestaunton, Somerset (my Grandmother) married 1st husband, William James Jones, Sevenoaks, Kent.
I would love to know more about Clapp ancestry.
If anyone else is researching this line of the family, I would be happy to share further information.

Evelyn
Colin Evans

Post by Colin Evans »

Hello, Evelyn,
I am sorry I do not have any information abour Sarah Clapp,as she does not appear in the Luppitt Baptisms register, but it is clear that Mary Ann Clapp was elegitimate.
I suspect that Mary Jane Clapp was also ilegitimate, as she was born 1850/51, (I can supply you with a Birth Certificate Reference if you are interested) and Mary Ann Clapp and Alfred Knight did not marry until 1855.
Whether or not Alfred was the father can only be speculation at this stage, but it would not have been unusual for him to have given her his name after his marriage to her mother.
Colin
Colin

Post by Colin »

Hi Evelyn

My great grandmother was Charlotte CLAPP (1830-1915) who married the Luppitt Master Tailor, John SALWAY. Charlotte was the base born daughter of Sarah CLAPP (1800-1877) of Upottery. Charlotte's sisters were Sarah CLAPP c.1826; Ann CLAPP (1828-1829); Mary Ann CLAPP c.1830; and Mary CLAPP (c.1839) [1851 census Upottery].

Sarah CLAPP was the base born daughter of Jacob PARKHOUSE (1749-1839) Mason of Upottery and Sarah CLAPP (1769-1841) Upottery. Jacob PARKHOUSE was the 4 x great grandfather of Roy PARKHOUSE - transcriber of many Somerset BDM records.

If any of this fits with your family I would be pleased to provide more information.

Colin Rosewell
Colin Evans

Post by Colin Evans »

Hello, Colin.
So that is why Sarah does not appear in Luppitt Baptisms!
I expect you know that Sarah Clapp, born 1800, was baptised at Upottery on 25th December 1800 and is also shown as an ilegitimate daughter of yet another Sarah Clapp.
Mary Jane Clapp was baptised at Upottery on 25th August 1850 and is shown as the daughter of Mary Clapp, and, as you say, the 1851 Census shows Sarah, Mary Ann, Charlotte and Mary Jane all living together at Upottery, together with a lodger, Robert Bromfiel. As Mary Jane is shown as Sarah's grand-daughter, it would seem obvios that Mary Ann was Mary Jane's mother.
Best Wishes.
Colin
Colin Evans

Post by Colin Evans »

Sorry, Colin. Forgot to say I could not find a baptism for Mary Ann Clapp - but found one for Ann Clapp, daughter of Sarah Clapp, at Upottery on 28th September 1828. It is recorded as a private baptism.
Colin
Colin

Post by Colin »

Hi Colin E
Thanks for the extra information. My database shows the following baptism for Mary Anne CLAPP: Roy Parkhouse, Upottery Baptisms.
"10/7/1831 Clapp Mary Ann dau of Sarah, servant." Can you confirm that one?

Jacob PARKHOUSE married Betty CLAPP (1749-1790) at Upottery 2 Mar 1772. They had 8 children. After Betty died Jacob lived with Betty's sister Sarah - marriage to a widow's sister was not allowed. Jacob and Sarah had 6 children including Sarah CLAPP (b.25 Dec 1800) with the last one, Samuel CLAPP alias PARKHOUSE, b.6 Jun 1808.

Betty CLAPP and Sarah CLAPP were the daughters of Daniel CLAPP (1726-1795) of Upottery who married Mary QUICK at Luppitt 25 May 1749.

Please feel free to correct any errors or ask if you would like more information.
Cheers
Colin R
Colin Evans

Post by Colin Evans »

Hello, again, Colin.
I, too, rely quite a bit on Roy Parkhouse's transcriptions - which I find quite reliable.
However, on my copy of his downloadable CD of Upottery Records, there are no baptisms shown for the month of July 1831, so I am not able to confirm (or otherwise) your record of the baptism of Mary Ann Clapp.
The marriage of Jacob Parkhouse and Betty Clapp is shown as 2nd March 1772, at Upottery. Jacob is shown as a Bricklayer and they are both shown as being "of this Parish"

The marriage of Daniel Clapp and Mary Quick appears in both my transcripts and microfiche of Luppitt Parish Records, but the date in my records is 22nd May, 1749, not 25th May.
Daniel is shown as being from Upottery and Mary is shown as being from Luppitt. No baptism for Mary Quick appears in my Luppitt Transcriptions, so I searched the microfice back for 30 years and found no entry for her, so she might have been a widow, or she may have been born elsewhere and have been a long term resident of Luppitt at the time of her marriage.

If I do manage to come up with anything else, I will get on line again.

Colin E.
linda109

Post by linda109 »

Hello
I have the following info on the Clapp family if it helps anyone.
1841 Census shows:
Town Cottage 41 A115

Clapp Robert 35 ag lab Devon
Clapp Ann 8 Devon
Clapp Elizabeth 5 Devon
Clapp Eliza 2 Devon
Braddick Elizabeth 45 house keeper Devon

1851 Census shows:
Tapsterwater 51

Braddick Elizabeth 67 wid head pauper,wash'woman Whitehill Som
Braddick William 19 unm son ag lab Luppitt Dev
Clapp Eliza 12 unm lodg scholar Ashbrittle Som

1861 Census shows: Cott 61 C103

Richards William 24 mar head ag lab Stockland Dev
Richards Eliza 22 mar wife Ashbrittle Som
Richards Mary J 1 unm dau Monkton Dev

1871 Census shows Eliza age 32 living with James Tozer 32, living in Newberrys Town, Luppitt with:
Elizabeth Tozer age 11 months
James Richards age 3
Ann Richards age 6