STONE/ROWLAND/CLAPP

Post in this forum if you are looking for (or can help with) information on surnames related to Luppitt people. Please put the relevant surname(s) in the subject line in CAPITAL letters.

BECAUSE SOME POSTS ARE COPIED FROM THE GUESTMAP SERVICE, DO NOT USE THE 'EMAIL' BUTTON WHEN THE POST NAME IS FORUMADMIN, IN THAT CASE USE YOUR OWN EMAIL PROGRAM TO EMAIL THE EMAIL ADDRESS GIVEN IN THE POSTING.
Mikestone

STONE/ROWLAND/CLAPP

Post by Mikestone » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:09 pm

Hi,
I'm a new boy on your forum and I'm researching the above names.
My G/father was John Stone b.1871 Luppitt who married Susan Rowland, According to your site she was the illegimate daughter of Jane Rowland so my first question is :- Does anybody know who Susans Father was?

John Stone's parents were William Stone b.1837 D'well and Hannah Clapp b.1836 Luppitt. It appears that Hannah's parents were John Clapp and Thomasin Stone, can any body confirm this?

Finally I have a lot of info on my Stone relatives I've found on your site (dates, places of death, burials etc) is there anybody who would like this info?

Regards

Mike

Lavinia Hemingway

Re: STONE/ROWLAND/CLAPP

Post by Lavinia Hemingway » Mon May 17, 2010 12:01 pm

Mikestone wrote:Hi,
I'm a new boy on your forum and I'm researching the above names.
My G/father was John Stone b.1871 Luppitt who married Susan Rowland, According to your site she was the illegimate daughter of Jane Rowland so my first question is :- Does anybody know who Susans Father was?

John Stone's parents were William Stone b.1837 D'well and Hannah Clapp b.1836 Luppitt. It appears that Hannah's parents were John Clapp and Thomasin Stone, can any body confirm this?

Finally I have a lot of info on my Stone relatives I've found on your site (dates, places of death, burials etc) is there anybody who would like this info?

Regards

Mike

Hi, My gr,gr,grandmother was Elizabeth (Betsy) Rowland who married Robert Pulman from Luppitt. I also have a Robert Rowland in my tree, a shoemaker, who married Elizabeth,Jane,Stone in 1879. If we haven't already been in touch I would like to know a bit more about the Stone family. Best Wishes, Lavinia Hemingway

Colin Evans

Susan Rowland

Post by Colin Evans » Sat May 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Mike, Have you sent for the birth cartificate of Susan Rowland?

The Reference to quote is "Honiton. Dec 1876. vol.5b. page 18"

Colin

Colin Evans

Susan Rowland

Post by Colin Evans » Sat May 22, 2010 9:43 pm

Sorry, Mike, There is a second reference for a Susan Rowland registered in the Honiton District within the possible timeframe. That reference is:
"Honiton. Dec 1866. vol.5b. page 34" so you may have to send for them both to be certain.
Colin

Colin Evans

Hannah Clapp

Post by Colin Evans » Sat May 22, 2010 10:02 pm

There is a baptism of Anna Clapp (no H's) the daughter of John and Thomazin (with a z) Clapp recorded on 1.11.1835. The father's occupation is shown as Carpenter.
Colin

Grahame Smith

Post by Grahame Smith » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:59 pm

Hi Mike,

Susan Rowland was born 28.8.1869 in Luppitt she was one of two possibly three or even four illegitimate children of Jane Rowland, the others being Mark Rowland b 30.9.1870, Charlotte Jane b 26.7.1873, and Annie b 6.5.1874, this depends on when the marriage to John Searle took place which I can only tie down to the 3rd Quarter 1873 Honiton District, she then went on to have five more children with John Searle. Having said this there was a group baptism at Luppitt Church 8.6.1890 when the last five children were baptised and following that on the 15.6.1890 the first four children were baptised all with the surname of Searle and all being called son or daughter of John and Jane. Whether or not there is any significance in there being two seperate groups of baptisms I have no idea. The dates of birth of all the children were recorded at the baptisms which although not unheard of is rather unusual. It may well be that all the children were fathered by John Searle and that the Vicar wished to distinguish between the children born in wedlock and those not.
When Susan Rowland (Searle) married John Stone in 19.5.1891 the Vicar recorded her name as Susan Rowland with the father's name omitted, but one of the witnesses was Charlotte Jane Searle sister of Susan and the Vicar seems quite happy for her to use the name Searle.

Grahame Smith. Luppitt Local History Group

charlene_searle

Re: STONE/ROWLAND/CLAPP

Post by charlene_searle » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:15 am

Hi, I am a direct descendant of Mark Rowland, who is my Great grandfather. I have got his birth certificate and no father is mentioned. Did you find any further information on this topic of who there father was?